Contact us for all your culinary needs

Phone Number:
(780) 289-7220
Email: bolasterscatering@telus.net

Follow us for daily tips on Twitter & the Bolsters Catering Facebook page

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ham hocks and Beans for the Dutch oven


Comfort food at its best. This is a great hearty mid winter meal, when I make this for my family it is a huge winner even for my 4 year old food critic. For me I am taken back to a time in my youth sitting around my Grandmothers table. Safe, happy and surrounded by family. This recipe is a particular favorite for my family at camp after a day of hiking, canoeing, and exploring. For those of you whom do not have a dutch oven this recipe can be done in a roasting pan as well. You do not need to soak your beans for this recipe but you may need to increase your cook time. For the the purpose of camping I tend to set my beans soaking prior to leaving the city. and find the 2 hour time works well.

Serves 8 to 10 people

  • Canola oil 2 Tbsp
  • Smoked ham hocks 4 oz - 8 med
  • Chopped onion 2 cups
  • Dried navy beans 1 Lb
  • Black pepper - to taste
  • Salt - to taste
  • Water 10 cups
  • 2 Bay leaves
Heat Dutch oven over medium high heat, add oil and sear hocks in batches until brown; about 4 - 6 minutes. Remove hocks and set aside. Add onions, season and saute 2 minutes. Stir in beans and bay leaves and season with pepper, saute for 1 min. Add reserved Hocks and water. Bring to a boil, cover and bake at 350 deg. for 2 hours or until meat falls off the bones and the beans are creamy. Remove bay leaves and season to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment